Football Fest Empanadas Recipe
- 1 jar (16 ounces) black bean and corn salsa
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 package (9 ounces) ready-to-use Southwestern chicken strips, chopped
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 4 ounces quesadilla cheese, shredded
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the salsa, corn, jalapenos, 2 tablespoons cilantro and lime juice. In another bowl, combine the chicken, remaining cilantro and 1/2 cup salsa mixture; set aside. Reserve remaining salsa for serving.
- Unroll a pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Using a floured 4-in. round cookie cutter placed halfway on edge of pastry, cut 4-in. x 3-in. football shapes. Repeat with remaining dough, chilling and rerolling scraps as needed.
- Transfer half of the cutouts to greased baking sheets. Place 1 tablespoon chicken mixture in the center of each; top each with 1-1/2 teaspoons cheese. Brush edges of pastry with egg. Top with remaining cutouts; press edges with a fork to seal. Cut slits in the tops to resemble football laces. Brush tops with egg.
- Bake at 450° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with reserved salsa mixture. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Football Fest Empanadas(7)
Sort By :
These tasted good, especially served with the salsa. Not sure if I'd make it again but certainly glad that I tried it.
I cheated and made these in my pie maker (the Sunbeam appliance my husband once called the most useless appliance in the kitchen...until I made him some pies and these empanadas. mwahahaha). As we had kids over, I didn't use jalapenos and I hate cilantro, so I skipped that as well. Didn't matter! They were still very tasty. I might put a bit more cheese in next time, but will definitely make again!
Great recipe! I saved a little more time by using a couple pkgs. of the pre-cut wrappers by Goya. You can find these in the ethnic frozen food section of your supermarket.
easy to do, i will definitely make these again. I got 12 4 1/2" empanadas out of this recipe...
Fantastic! It was the hit of my superbowl party! Easy and quick to make. Everyone thought I spent all day on them.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baked Chicken >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Appetizers >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Appetizers >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cocktail Party Appetizers >
- Corn Recipes >
- Corn Salsa Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- Jalapeno Salsa Recipe >
- Kids Snacks >
- Low Fat Appetizers >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Appetizers >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Salsa Recipes >