What better place to find a fantastic barbecue sauce than Texas, and that’s where this one is from—it’s my father-in-law’s own recipe. We’ve served it at many family reunions and think it’s the best! —Bobbie Morgan, Woodstock, Georgia
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Salt and pepper to taste
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Grill chicken, skin side down, uncovered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute the onion in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken; grill 15-25 minutes longer or until juices run clear, brushing often with barbecue sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Favorite Barbecued Chicken in Country June/July 2006, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Favorite Barbecued Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2014
"I made exactly as directed, and we enjoyed this barbecued chicken."
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2008
"I used sesame seed oil and it added just a little extra taste to this already delicious bbq sauce."