- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2 large firm bananas
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard; refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Spread half of the custard into pastry shell. Slice bananas; arrange over filling. Pour remaining custard over bananas. Spread with whipped cream. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Favorite Banana Cream Pie
Sort By :
Overall, the pie was amazing. It is extremely delicious and fairly easy to make. I ended up making the pie with my own crust at this link http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pie-crust-recipe.html and a simple meringue on top. It turned out lovely but the consistency of my pie did not turn out as it looks in the photo... it is still firm and not too runny but as i see from the photo above the pie should slice without any filling falling... maybe the photo is off? I dont know but i do know that next time i make it i guess i will use a little less milk to keep it thick. Still overall great pie! didnt feel guilty at all eating it alone.... until i read the nutritional facts haha
This pie was wonderful. I loved that it didn't have all of those artificial ingredients found in instant pudding and cool whip. It was decadent, but delicious. The custard truly needs overnight to set up completely.
I'm a a mildly experienced baker. Usually my creations a really good or extremely mediocre. Anyhow it is my darling boyfriend's birthday tommorrow and his favorite pie is, u'd guess'd it, Mom's Banana Cream Pie! I was sorta nervous of screwing this up majorly, such as scalded the pudding or that the pudding wouldn't thicken but it is now cooling on my stove and it is Delicious and beauitful. I love vanilla, like A LOT, but my taste tester (Auntie Ruth) said that it has a tiny bit to much vanilla (I used a tsp, so mybe ya'll can try 1/2 tsp). Also, I used cream top whole milk to up to richness factor (of course and why not?, this is banana CREAM PIE not Banana low fat pie, hehe) Anyhow, I can't wait to assemble it and see my sweetheart's face. I'll bet he'll eat the entire pie. This was so easy and I would definetly make again.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Banana Cream Pie Recipes >
- Banana Pie Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Pie Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Make Ahead Desserts >