- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the broth, pumpkin, lemon juice, curry powder, sugar, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cream; heat through. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Curried Pumpkin Soup
"Very tasty. We used fresh pumpkin from our garden (making sure to squeeze out the extra water) and it worked fine. Tastes great with a dollop of sour cream, too!"
"Very easy recipe. I enjoyed it very much and nice flavor for fall. I also added another tsp. of sugar and used heavy cream. A great soup for a gathering of friends."
"Very tasty. I did add a sprinkle of cinnamon. I did not add the salt, and I used 1% milk. It was delicious! Next time I will use a touch less of the curry. Oh - I only used around a 1/4 of an onion, too."
"Very bland. Added a ton of kosher salt and we still didn't finish it. I will not make this again."
"Every single member of the family loved this, including my picky son in law, thank you!"
"I make this every Thanksgiving. I use a quart of half and half instead of evaporated milk..."
"I would rate this as excellent with the addition of pumpkin pie spice (1/8 tsp) per bowl and extra sugar (1/4 tsp) per bowl. Next time I will add to the whole recipe (1/2 tsp pp spice and 1 extra tsp sugar) before simmering. I also subbed 1% milk and 1 Tbsp margarine for the half and half. I might consider pureeing it in the food processer next time before simmering as the onion pieces were tasty but a different texture."
"Such a delicious soup! I've made it twice - the second time I doubled the recipe. The curry lends a mild, spicy flavor to the pumpkin that is totally different from pumpkin pie! Love it!"
"I used the evaporated milk. The soup was great. Even my two year old liked it. I am just trying to figure out how to give it a hint more of sweetness."