- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Cooking spray
- 8 pita pocket halves
- 8 romaine leaves
- 8 slices tomato
- 16 cooked bacon strips, halved
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, garlic and lemon peel. Cover and chill until serving.
- Place flour, milk and bread crumbs in three separate shallow bowls. Coat squash and jalapeno slices with flour, then dip in milk and coat with bread crumbs. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Spritz vegetables with additional cooking spray.
- Bake at 475° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture inside pita halves; fill with lettuce, tomatoes, bacon and breaded vegetables. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Crispy Pita BLT's in Taste of Home June/July 2012, p70
Reviews for Crispy Pita BLT's
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 19, 2012
"The baked veggies are what made me want to try this and am I glad I did. Different and delicious!"
Reviewed May. 22, 2012
"What a great combination of flavors!"
Reviewed May. 21, 2012
"Love the addition of jalapenos!"