- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Assorted food coloring, optional
- Multi-colored pull-and-peel licorice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and cardamom; gradually beat into creamed mixture. If desired, divide dough into portions; tint with food coloring. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. With the top of a 1/4-cup measuring cup dipped in flour, press an indented edge into each cookie. Using a plastic straw, cut out four holes near the center of the cookie.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Lace licorice through the holes in each button; trim licorice. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Crisp Button Cookies in Simple & Delicious March/April 2010, p45
Reviews for Crisp Button Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2013
very nicely done