- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh or frozen uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the next nine ingredients; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add shrimp and parsley; simmer, uncovered, for 7-10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Creole Jambalaya
"This took another full cup of water to get the rice to cook and still was too tomato-y for me. Very sweet and not much else; lacked flavor and needed lots more herbs or salt or something. Probably won't try again."
"This was excellent. It actually tasted better the second day. Very easy to make."
"The whole family loved it!!"
"I've been making this recipe for years. We love it, I put andoulee sausage in it instead of ham I think it gives it quite a kick!"
"real good used sausage instead of ham.fantastic.."
"This was a really easy meal to fix. All 3 children ate this dish. You can substitute chicken or sausages quite easily for those with shellfish allergies. Very easy on the calories as well."
"I don't eat shrimp, but my husband and sister loved it. My sister asked for the recipe,and my hubby said I can make it again anytime.I didn't use ham. I substituted smoked sausage. Due to the price of shrimp, I only used 1 lb. and added some cubed raw chicken. It appears to be a winner in my family."
"my dad loves this recipe and so does my son. Really a good one. Have tried many"
"Great recipe and fast. I added some smoked sausage to this for a little extra variety and cut back on the amount of ham. Delicious"
"Football season can be chilly in Montana, so i tripled this recipe and fed a huge group of people. We are huge football fans, and now also, my friends are huge jambalaya fans too!"