Cream of Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Stir in the rice, chicken, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. stir in milk; cook 3-5 minutes longer. Garnish with chives. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Cream of Wild Rice Soup(28)
Sort By :
Awesome! Great recipe. I have made at least 3 times since I found in my email! If you add flour and cook for a few minutes in the butter and vegetables it makes a roux, it won't have the flour taste.
I followed the recipe exactly, except for the fact that I noticed their wasn't any spices so I added some rosemary and thyme. Even so, I found the soup to be quite bland. It was as if all I was tasting was the flour. Next time I'd use cornstarch as it doesn't have the flavour of flour. I did mix the flour with water because I was worried about dumping dry flour into a pot with only carrots and onions. And of course, I'd add more seasonings to it.
An earthy comfort food, this recipe has been a family favorite for several years. We love this on cold winter days with fresh baked dinner rolls.
I made it exactly as the recipe stated but omitted the chicken and added a variety of mushrooms. Also added a little bit of white wine. Excellent to have on a cold winter day.
I haven't made this yet. Looks delicious! I think I will add fresh mushrooms when I do and use the Long Grain with Wild Rice with seasoning packet as another viewer did. And also will Garnish with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese & the chives. YUM!
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Quick Chicken Dinner Recipes >