- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
- 1 cup white baking chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and orange juice. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in cranberries, baking chips and pecans.
- Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls 1 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough water to reach a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Cranberry Cookies with Browned Butter Glaze
"I think I have a new favorite cookie! I did have to add another two minutes to the baking time. These cookies are moist and flavorful, and although I did use pecans, I think the cookies would be equally good with walnuts. When I made the glaze, I used orange juice instead of water, which added a little extra zing to the glaze. I also increased the amount of the cranberries, although I did not use the entire bag. I have already been asked twice for the recipe. You have to work fast when you drizzle the glaze over the cookies, but then, if I hadn't already slopped some over the edge of the pan, I could have put it back on the burner to warm it again. :)"
"These are the best cranberry cookies I have ever made."
"Delicious cookies, I had to bake them a little longer to get them light brown"
"I tried this recipe for the first time! I did make adjustments to the recipe by substituting eggnog for the milk and I also added 1 Tbsp. ground Navel orange. I DID use 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. baking soda as there WAS 3 cups of flour in this recipe! I DID omit the chopped pecans. I used one 12-oz. package of frozen cranberries which I chopped in my food processor. I used all of the cranberries! I also left the cookies as they were-I did not glaze them! I found the cookies to be very tasty by themselves! I got 5 dozen to about 64 cookies as I used teaspoonfuls of dough on the baking sheets. These cookies are also very colorful with the pieces of cranberry and the white baking chips! Thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein"
"Fantastic cookies - the tartness of the cranberries and the sweetness of the chocolate are a great combination! I've already been asked to share the recipe!"
"These are the best cookies ever! I had the pleasure of tasting them (made by Laurie!) several years ago. They are definitely award winning!"