Contest-Winning Turkey Potpie Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- Milk, optional
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the turkey, cheese and vegetables; cook until the cheese is melted. Set aside and keep warm.
- For the crust, combine flour, celery seed and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add enough water until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Pour hot turkey filling into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over the filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush tops with milk if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Contest-Winning Turkey Potpie
Sort By :
I've been looking for a turkey potpie recipe for a long time and this one is wonderful!! Everyone had seconds...I even tried chicken instead of turkey and it still was delicious..
Great tasting potpie! I used a store-bought refrigerated pie crust (saved on time). Simple to put together, basic ingredients used, and tasty. The filling is thick enought that it doesn't turn out 'soupy' and thin. Will be keeping this recipe handy for next time.
I make this potpie after every time we cook turkey!
Very good - the only changes i made were to use only frozen carrots (that is what my family prefers) and to use a store bought Pillsbury crust. This one is definitely a keeper!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Main Dishes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >
- Turkey Dinner Recipes >