Savory Turkey Potpies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
- 2 medium red potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
- Additional fresh parsley or thyme leaves, optional
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender. In a small bowl, whisk flour and stock until smooth; gradually stir into Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Add turkey, peas and carrots, potatoes, parsley, thyme and pepper; stir gently.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Divide turkey mixture among eight 10-oz. ramekins. On a lightly floured surface, unroll crust. Cut out eight 3-in. circles. Gently press parsley into crust if desired. Place over turkey mixture. Beat egg and water; brush over tops. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown. Freeze option: Securely wrap baked and cooled potpies in plastic and foil; freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 425°. Unwrap potpies; bake in oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Cover top with foil to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 potpie: 279 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 495mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Oct 2, 2013
These are great! I used fresh carrots and added fresh green beans, I sautéed them with the onion. I didn't have fresh herbs on hand so I used dried instead. I also added a package of lower sodium chicken granules to "up" the flavor in the sauce, as I had used the lower sodium chicken stock. Tasted great!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.