Hearty Chickpea Potpie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie crust
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unroll one crust into a 9-in. pie plate; trim even with rim. Line unpricked crust with parchment. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are light golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove parchment and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots; cook and stir until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and peas, cooking until vegetables are tender, 5-7 minutes. Whisk in next five ingredients. Increase heat to medium-high; gradually whisk in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 4-6 minutes. Stir in chickpeas. Remove from heat.
- Spoon vegetable filling over bottom crust. Unroll remaining crust; place over filling. Trim; cut slits in top.
- Bake until top crust is golden, about 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 496 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein.
Feb 16, 2018
This is delicious! I have an almost identical recipe I've been making for years. This is so tasty, no one will miss the meat. I double the recipe and make it in a 9"X13" pan. A real winner!
Jun 26, 2017
I love the addition of tumeric in this pot pie! I haven't ever used this in my traditional pot pie. I liked the substitution of chickpeas for chicken in this recipe, not to mention the fun play on words. The only suggestion I have is to add the peas later in the process so they do not cook down so much.
Apr 17, 2017
My family decided that they wanted a vegetarian meal for Easter. This was the perfect meal for the occasion. I made a few changes that I think really made it stand out! I only used 13/4 cup vegetable broth and then added 1/4 cream. I also added 1t thyme. In addition to the added ingredients I also made my own pie dough instead of using store bought.