Hearty Chickpea Potpie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unroll one pastry sheet into a 9-in. pie plate; trim even with rim. Line unpricked pastry with parchment paper. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are light golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove parchment paper and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots; cook and stir until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and peas, cooking until vegetables are tender, 5-7 minutes. Whisk in next five ingredients. Increase heat to medium-high; gradually whisk in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 4-6 minutes. Stir in chickpeas. Remove from heat.
- Spoon vegetable filling over bottom crust. Unroll remaining pastry; place over filling. Trim; cut slits in top.
- Bake until top crust is golden, about 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 496 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 16, 2018
This is delicious! I have an almost identical recipe I've been making for years. This is so tasty, no one will miss the meat. I double the recipe and make it in a 9"X13" pan. A real winner!
Jun 26, 2017
I love the addition of tumeric in this pot pie! I haven't ever used this in my traditional pot pie. I liked the substitution of chickpeas for chicken in this recipe, not to mention the fun play on words. The only suggestion I have is to add the peas later in the process so they do not cook down so much.
Apr 17, 2017
My family decided that they wanted a vegetarian meal for Easter. This was the perfect meal for the occasion. I made a few changes that I think really made it stand out! I only used 13/4 cup vegetable broth and then added 1/4 cream. I also added 1t thyme. In addition to the added ingredients I also made my own pie dough instead of using store bought.