- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; add cheeses, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Company Mac and Cheese
"It wasn't my favorite."
"I made this Mac & Cheese recipe for my family and they loved it. I only used 4 oz. of cream cheese and I used Dijon mustard instead of spicy brown mustard, but it turned out great. Great comfort food on a chilly night."
"Was creamy and mild tasting.The cream cheese cut the sharpness of the extra sharp cheeseflavor.I make strictly with extra sharp cheese and use dry mustard!My husband didn't like it!"
"I have not tried this recipe yet but wanted to answer the question of how you can keep it from tasting grainy. Don't use packaged shredded cheese. Buy blocks of quality cheeses and grate them yourself. The bagged cheese has been processed so it doesn't stick together in the bag. Hope that helps."
"Loved it!!! First I made it according to recipe, but cut in half. Great! Then I tried it with what i had on hand and these were my changes: swapped out half cheddar for Mexican mix cheese, and the other half w/grated Le Gruyere (swiss). The Gruyere made all the difference. It became better than restaurant quality. (Kraft - eat your own heart out!!!)"
"Turned out great.... I did add some extra cheddar cheese just because we like cheese.... tasted even better the next day when I heated it up... Great Recipe."
"This was a little too mustardy and too many bread crumbs.for my taste, although it was easy to make and I got a couple rave reviews when I took k it to a potluck."
"I made this tonight and while we liked it, it was way to grainy. How do I make it less grainy? I'm not the best cook :)"
"This was the best Mac and cheese I have ever had!!! My brother said it was award winning, I'll make it for a party!! I just put ritz crackers on it instead of bread crumbs!! Thank you for posting it!!"
"Just made this tonight and my husband, who is a chef, LOVED it!! I didn't add the mustard (just didn't sound good) and used Ritz crackers for the topping and I used Penne instead of elbow!! Holds sauce better! Will be my go to Mac & Cheese dish from now on!!"