- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; add cheeses, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Company Mac and Cheese
"I had never bothered to make homemade mac & cheese before, and am really glad I made this! It is awesome! Super creamy. At first I thought there was too much sauce for the noodles but that's what makes it creamy and rich. Added lots of bacon to make it a main dish."
"5 stars for taste and texture! I did not top with breadcrumbs and bake because we don't care for our mac and cheese like this. It was too creamy, but again this could be in part because I did not bake. I already did use about 1/2 cup extra macaroni as I anticipated this. I will make it again with additional pasta. It was very easy, yet creamy and delicious."
"This is my splurge....the creamiest mac & cheese I've ever had! Can't get enough"
"My favorite mac and cheese recipe. Cream cheese and cheddar. Yum"
"I have been looking for a homemade mac & cheese recipe for a while, but each one was dry and tasteless. This one was phenomenal! Moist and creamy and yummy! Thumbs up from husband and daughter too"
"It wasn't my favorite."
"I made this Mac & Cheese recipe for my family and they loved it. I only used 4 oz. of cream cheese and I used Dijon mustard instead of spicy brown mustard, but it turned out great. Great comfort food on a chilly night."
"Was creamy and mild tasting.The cream cheese cut the sharpness of the extra sharp cheeseflavor.I make strictly with extra sharp cheese and use dry mustard!My husband didn't like it!"
"I have not tried this recipe yet but wanted to answer the question of how you can keep it from tasting grainy. Don't use packaged shredded cheese. Buy blocks of quality cheeses and grate them yourself. The bagged cheese has been processed so it doesn't stick together in the bag. Hope that helps."
"Loved it!!! First I made it according to recipe, but cut in half. Great! Then I tried it with what i had on hand and these were my changes: swapped out half cheddar for Mexican mix cheese, and the other half w/grated Le Gruyere (swiss). The Gruyere made all the difference. It became better than restaurant quality. (Kraft - eat your own heart out!!!)"