- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, saute green pepper, onions and celery in oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until browned; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add kidney beans. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes longer. If desired, serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Classic Chili
Sort By :
"So far, it is very bland, and oregano taste isn't pleasing. Will have to doctor up with a little zip,"
"Very good, mild chili!I like the fact that I have all the ingredients on hand so I don't have to go to alot of expense for special ingredients. Froze the leftovers and they were just as good the second time when I used it for chili dogs."
"Awesome recipe! I love it. So easy to make. I used meatloaf mix in place of ground beef and cut the chili powder down to 1 teaspoon which gave it a nice hint of heat."
"My family and I truly enjoy this recipe!! The flavors are fantastic and the amount of chili powder that you use is up to you!! I like chunky chili with plenty of onions and I found the perfect recipe!! I always make this with sweet corn bread and sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top! :) YUM"
"This was a good, filling chili, however it had far too much diced tomato. When I make it again I will use less tomato. Also, I did use beef broth instead of the water, which I am sure helped, but it could still you a tad more flavor. I will try modifying the seasonings. Overall tho I liked the consistency and it was easy."