Cinnamon Apple Rolls Recipe
Besides the great flavor, the appeal of these sweet rolls is that they don't need any yeast. They are ready to bake with less than 30 minutes of prep. Serve them as a special treat for breakfast or brunch. I've even used them for a delicious dessert.—Pam Hunt, Moore, Oklahoma
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups shredded peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water, apple juice, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 4-6 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 2 cups. Set sauce aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle.
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Place cut side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; pour sauce over rolls.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Apple Cinnamon Rolls in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p113
Reviews for Cinnamon Apple Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review