Church Supper Hot Dish Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) chow mein noodles, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the potatoes, celery, carrots, green pepper and onion in butter for 5 minutes. Add water; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in soup and cooked ground beef until blended.
- Sprinkle half of the chow mein noodles into a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Spoon meat mixture over noodles. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Top with cheese and remaining noodles. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Church Supper Hot Dish(7)
Sort By :
I would add a few more spices, but pretty good.
My family loved this, even my mom who is my biggest critic. I did make the recipe bigger, as I did not see how a 2 qt dish would feed 8 people. I did 1 1/2 lb ground beef, 4 c potatoes, 1 c celery, 1 c carrots, 1/2 c green pepper, increased the water to a little under 2 c and kept everything else the same, then put it into a 3 qt casserole dish. There was more than enough soup and water to keep everything moist and delicious! I also seasoned the beef while browning it and added salt, pepper, paprika, onion, and garlic powder to the vegetables when they were sauteing. This dish was EXCELLENT and very affordable. Most items you have already. Great weeknight meal!!
So easy but so good. Great flavor and makes the whole house smell wonderful. Everyone loves this.
Yes cream of celery or chicken soup would work fine, also you might try cream of potato.
Yes it can be layered into a crock pot for last baking and to keep hot for serving, but only after the meat is pre-cooked and the veggies sauted.
More Recipe Collections
- Asian Dinners >
- Asian Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >