Chunky Apple Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff). Stir in apples until well combined.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Gradually add cream. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Serve with cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Chunky Apple Cake(35)
Sort By :
Delicious! I used close to 5 cups of chopped apples and it still seemed like a lot. I used a caramel whiskey sauce because I already had some made up and a dollop of home made whipping cream and oh was it good! I will make the butterscotch sauce the next time. And as another person said the cake stands on its own. I myself loved the texture of the flaky crunch on top of the cake. My husband loves anything baked with apples in it and this one was a big hit!
I made this for my family and they loved it.
Oh my, I knew this would be good when I read the ingredients. But, I had no idea that it would be so fabulous. It is so full of apples that make it incredibly moist. The sauce was the crowning glory. I served it with whipped cream, but, next time will pair it with vanilla bean ice cream. I can't wait to make it again!
Using granny smith apples provided the right tartness level to balance out the sweetness of the sauce. We thought the recipe was perfect as is. I even had a guest sneak another helping right out of the pan in the kitchen.
Delicious cake I too cut the sugar in half but added 3/4cup of walnuts with melted butter and brown sugar mixed together as a topping great with or without the sauce. I have made this three times in the last month with many compliments, thank you Debi for the recipe
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Cake >
- Apple Cakes >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cake Topping Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >
- Potluck Recipes >