- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff). Stir in apples until well combined.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Gradually add cream. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Serve with cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Chunky Apple Cake
Sort By :
"I followed this recipe exact , except I substituted Splenda for sugar. The recipe said the batter would be stiff and I could have rolled it out like pie crust. I added milk to make the batter that I could put in a cake pan and spread out. It had plenty of apples and the butterscotch sauce made it taste wonderful. Did not look good but tasted great. Will not make this again."
"This was fresh and delicious! Easy to make and love the spices. A keeper for sure! Thanks, Debi!"
"Sounds good. I've never tried making this before I've given it a 3....but could it be made with pears instead?? I have some to use up in the fridge! Someone please let me know ASAP..?!?"
"the best apple cake ever!"
"So very moist, turned out great! Followed the recipe to a T. It stayed very fresh on the counter for 3 days. I poured the sauce on each piece right before serving, to keep the cake from getting soggy. Simply delicious!"