- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff). Stir in apples until well combined.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Gradually add cream. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Serve with cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Chunky Apple Cake
Sort By :
"Sounds good. I've never tried making this before I've given it a 3....but could it be made with pears instead?? I have some to use up in the fridge! Someone please let me know ASAP..?!?"
"the best apple cake ever!"
"So very moist, turned out great! Followed the recipe to a T. It stayed very fresh on the counter for 3 days. I poured the sauce on each piece right before serving, to keep the cake from getting soggy. Simply delicious!"
"Easy and delicious, a great way to use some of the abundance of apples we have at this time of year. This came out picture perfect. I used half and half and the sauce was great. Really liked it."
"Great for fall"