- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 48 maraschino cherries, blotted dry
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 to 3 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture (batter will be very firm). Shape into 48 balls, about 1 in. round, and place on ungreased baking sheets. Push one cherry halfway into each ball.
- For frosting, melt chocolate chips in milk in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add cherry juice and stir until smooth. Spoon 1 teaspoon of frosting over each cherry (the frosting will spread over cookie during baking).
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies
Sort By :
"These are delicious! I frosted them right after they came out of the oven and they looked great. If you cool them in the pan and not on a cooling rack, they do stick and crumble some. I will chop up some cherries for in the batter for my next batch to get more cherry flavor throughout."
"I have used pecans halves, pineapple tidbits, Andes Candies, peanut butter, and (Wilton) chocolate discs as well as cherries for the middle. I make a double batch of dough and use one batch of frosting along with center options I listed before. There is bound to be something in that list for everyone.Tried caramels (wrapped, cut into fourths and the bits) but they don't soften enough in the short cooking time."
"My son just loved these cookies I didn't try them since I don't like Cherries but he really loved them I will be making them again for him"
"Dough should probably be refrigerated before baking. I did not refrigerate dough and my little dough balls flattened out a lot while in the oven"
"The trick to this recipe is preparing all the cookies at once .Place the balls on sheets. Place the cherries and the topping. Its ok if you then cook them in batches.I have been making these for over 20 years,. If you do it this way the topping maintains its shape and won't slide off. Also, make sure you seal the cherry with the topping."