- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion, pepper and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next seven ingredients; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in corn and olives; cover and cook 5 minutes more. Sprinkle with cheese; cook, covered, until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. If desired, top with green onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Chili Skillet
"I have been making this same recipe from a Taste of Home magazine since 2009. The 2009 recipe calls for 3 cups of juice. Bring to a boil before you cover and simmer this chili for the 25 minutes and the rice will be cooked. YUM. I always double this recipe and freeze lunch-sized portions."
"LOVE this recipe! It is excellent with ground venison instead of beef. Either way, I always add some cayenne pepper to spice it up but otherwise its delicious! Also, I use regular old instant rice and have never had the rice problem others have had."
"This was good......just added a salad to make a complete meal. It could have used a little more seasoning, which is something easily taken care of and is a matter of personal taste, and I did add more water as it was cooking - quite a bit more - maybe as much as one cup. I'd add a little, then more when I checked it again, and I did that several times. I thought I may have detected a grain or two of rice that wasn't quite cooked through, but all in all the rice seemed to have been fine. Adding a little more water or tomato juice and cooking it a bit longer is all it needs to insure that the rice is cooked. I like this dish...simple, quick, easily tweaked to satisfy personal taste, and it tastes good. I will make it again."
"quick and easy one dish meal :o)I also had a hard time geting the rice cooked all the way , but other than that it was very good."
"This was extremely tasty, the blend of flavors was just right. However, I had trouble with my rice cooking even though I followed the directions exactly! Very annoying. I think in the future I will precook my rice. But I will make it again."
"I fix this several time each month. quick and easy after a long day at work."
"very good chili...the leftovers are even a good 'taco' dip with corn chips...a family pleaser for sure"