- 1-3/4 cups egg whites (about 13)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries (about 30), coarsely chopped and drained
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour twice; set aside. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Combine flour and remaining sugar; gradually fold into batter, 1/4 cup at a time. Fold in cherries.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around the sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Serve with whipped topping. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Angel Food Cake in Country Woman March/April 2005, p36
Reviews for Cherry Angel Food Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review