- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 18 medium garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute onions and red peppers in butter until tender. Add 1/4 cup garlic, celery salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the potatoes, cheeses, flour, sour cream and remaining garlic; mix well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Cheese & Red Pepper Latkes
Sort By :
These were very good, and not hard to make. I made only a third of the recipe, and used pepper jack instead of mozzarella, since that's what I had on hand. I also cut back the garlic to just a couple of cloves, and was glad I did--the flavor was just right. Crisp, delicious, and really good for almost any meal.