Caramel Snickerdoodle Bars Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cans (13.4 ounces each) dulce de leche
- 12 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend over sides by 1 inch.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Spread onto bottom of prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 2 tablespoons mixture over batter. Bake 25-30 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Spread dulce de leche over crust. In a small saucepan, combine white baking chocolate, cream and corn syrup; cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly. Spread over dulce de leche. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.
- Lifting with parchment paper, remove from pan. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Snickerdoodle Bars(10)
Sort By :
I was very disappointed with these bars. I don't know if I used the wrong kind of dulce le leche or what but that layer never did congeal and the bars ended up being a runny mess. The overall taste was good but for whatever reason the dulce le leche layer never did congeal even when refrigerated for at least a day. I read and reread the recipe to see if I had done something incorrectly.
Update: in reading other reviews it appears that a specific brand of dulce le leche (mine was neither Nestle or Eagle brand) is necessary. It would be helpful if that info was included in the recipe. The ingredients were not inexpensive and it would have helped to know a specific brand was necessary to the success of the recipe.
Made these for our Daytona 500 raceday which turned into a rainday, but everyone thought the bars were wonderful!!!
Delicious! Next time I make them I will bake the crust the minimum time so it is a little softer. They are better the day after making them when the flavors and textures soften slightly. Cut into SMALL bars they are sweet.
I made these for a carry in at work and everyone agreed that they were just "okay".
I read the reviews about the bars being too sweet, so I used one and half cans of Nestle Lechera dulce instead of two.
I thought the bars were very good before being refrigerated. After cooling, the shortbread layer was very moist and chewy (cookie-like), which worked great with the caramel! After being refrigerated overnight though, they became kind of dry and just wasn't as flavorful. Several co-workers thought the cinnamon was a tad too much.
If I do make these bars again, I'll cut down on the cinnamon/sugar mixture and make only a half-batch so, I won't have to refridgerate them.
This recipe is awesome! I used the Nestle dulce de leche and mine turned out just like the picture. It does take some time to make these, but worth it.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bar Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Chocolate Bar Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Halloween Desserts >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Kids Desserts >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- New Year's Desserts >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Chocolate Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Desserts >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Finger Foods >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Fat Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Sodium Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Potluck Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Sweet Finger Food Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dessert Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >