- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in orange peel and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk remaining ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Buttery Orange Sugar Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p39
Reviews for Buttery Orange Sugar Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 26, 2016
"Where in the world do you find rye flour and why is that kind necessary for a cookie??"
Reviewed Aug. 4, 2016
"These sound delicious. Do the balls flatten out when baking? I'm worried about having nice, crispy cookies."