Butternut Squash Soup with Cinnamon Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Transfer to a 5-or 6-quart slow cooker; add squash. Combine the broth, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon; pour over squash. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until squash is tender.
- Cool slightly. Discard cinnamon stick. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to slow cooker. Whisk in cream cheese; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 14 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Butternut Squash Soup with Cinnamon
Sort By :
This was my first time making butternut squash soup. This recipe was sooooo easy and delicious. I used chicken stock because that is what I had on hand. I also sprinkled in some
nutmeg. I did not have any cream cheese so I put in a big splash of heavy cream. Also my first
time using an immersion blender. Definitely need more practice with that, but it worked great!
My family loves this soup, nice served with chopped cilantro.
The perfect soup for fall/winter. I did not add the cream cheese because I did not want the extra calories - absolutely delicious w/out it and VERY easy and fast to make! I doubled it so I can eat on it all week - YUM!!!
Made this soup and forgot to put the cream cheese in--will make it again and again without the cream cheese most of the time. The spices are so subtle, not overwhelming...delicious!
This is my "go to" squash soup recipe. I cook the squash in the micro & I carmelize the onions in EVOO & butter--the cream cheese is what brings the flavors all together!!!