The golden color, smooth and creamy texture and wonderful taste of this soup is a welcome addition on a chilly fall day. It has a slightly tangy flavor from the cream cheese, and the cinnamon really comes through.—Jackie Campbell, Stanhope, New Jersey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Transfer to a 5-or 6-quart slow cooker; add squash. Combine the broth, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon; pour over squash. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until squash is tender.
- Cool slightly. Discard cinnamon stick. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to slow cooker. Whisk in cream cheese; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 14 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Butternut Squash Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2010, p25
Reviews for Butternut Squash Soup with Cinnamon
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review