- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound bay or sea scallops, quartered
- 1 pound lobster meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound cod, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound haddock, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 quarts milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; reserve drippings. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Add potatoes and water; bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the scallops, lobster, shrimp, cod and haddock. Cook for 10 minutes or until scallops are opaque, shrimp turn pink and fish flakes easily with a fork. Add the butter, salt, parsley and curry powder. Stir in milk and evaporated milk; heat through. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 32 servings (8 quarts).
Reviews for Best Seafood Chowder
"Family loves this chowder YUM."
"This was outstanding! I didn't do much "tweaking", but didn't use all the fish in the ingredient list. I had cod and shrimp in the freezer, so that's what I used and cut the recipe in half. I would definitely add in the scallops and maybe another white fish next time. And there will most definitely be a next time! Even my non-fish-loving husband was in awe, and my son-in-law had three bowlfuls. The minimal amount of curry really completes it. I served it with an artisan whole clove garlic batard from Trader Joe's. This recipe is going into my permanent file!!"
"6 stars, if allowed!I halved it to 16 but still use 2 onions, 6 cups of potatoes, 2 cups of clam juice instead of water, 1# each of Sea scallops ONLY,( never bay scallops),raw shrimp,large,unpeeled, cooked in butter &1/2 cup of dry sherry, 1# can of crab claw meat(lobster is too costly in FL, but by all means, use lobster if you can afford it),2# of cod& 1-2 cans baby clams. Scallops are cooked in same butter/sherry after cheesecloth straining to remove shell frags. leftover liquid goes in pot ( another 1/2 cup or so, of sherry can be added. . Potatoes cooked in chick broth, drained,6 carrots,6 celery sticks,6 cloves garlic minced,3 cans condensed mushroom soup straight out of the cans, 8 red,yellow,orange sweet peppers(small) diced,Cooked in butter w/3 Jalapenos (& 1habanero or scotch bonnet if desired)(OMIT ALL HOT PEPPERS IF DESIRED)with the onions,1can sweet corn, whole,16oz heavy cream & 3c. or so of half & half, & 1 can evap milk. Never exceed 9.5 c. liquid from all sources. Penzeys Spices makes a pac called Singapore Sling. Marvelous stuff. If you don't know Penzeys, look 'em up on the web. Anybody cookin' longer than a month HAS to learn about Penzeys! ( & No, I have NO affiliation w/them.) 1/2 tsp on shrimp, 1/2 tsp on fish, 1/2 tsp on scallops-more in pot if desired. All vegges cooked before going in pot, all seafood cooked except clams & crab . Oh, sometimes I cut up a couple of cooked yellow squash & add. If chowder is too thin, & I like chowder rather thick, mix a bit of cornstarch slurry into hot chowder YOU tweak from here ."
"As with every soup recipe, you need to tweak it to your taste. We've made this recipe every year on either New Year's Eve or New Year's Day as a treat. Everyone loves it! We even have a special soup tureen for it. It's become a family tradition."
"x out the curry it just didnt have that chowder taste.."
"We add what ever fish or seafood we have in the freezer. We have the in-laws over every New Years Day. This soup has become a traditional meal for us."
"Absolutely wonderful! I halved the recipe, added a pint of oysters, and used half and half in place of the milk. It was great!"
"This sounds great! I would have to splurge to buy lobster for the recipe as it is very expensive here. I am copying to try when I am at the beach in a few weeks."