Best-Ever Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon each celery seed, salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; drain. Add the potatoes, broth, carrot, onion, parsley, celery seed, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add cheese; stir until cheese is melted and the soup is heated through. Garnish with green onions if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Best-Ever Potato Soup
Sort By :
"This was really good! Super cheesy though, kinda tasted like au gratin potatoes. My husband loves Velveeta so he gobbled it up. I put in diced ham instead of bacon because it's what I had on hand. Will definitely make it again."
"I added more pepper and used shredded cheese. And I threw all in the crock pot. Super easy and very good. Would make again."
"Awesome soup, thumbs up 5 stars."
"We liked this soup, it had a good start to the flavor. I did add more salt and pepper than was called for. I made few other changes too: I sauteed the chopped onion in some of the bacon fat before I added the chicken broth; I heated up the milk before adding it to the hot broth and potatoes (so it wouldn't curdle when added); finally, I pureed the soup before adding the cheese. It came out very creamy and smooth that way!"