- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Add next eight ingredients. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; boil and stir 2 minutes. Add cheese; stir until melted and soup is heated through. If desired, serve with green onions. Yield: 2 quarts.
Reviews for Best-Ever Potato Soup
"This was awesome! Very easy and delicious. We would double the recipe, if we had our boys home from college."
"Great flavor! Once I gathered everything, this came together really quickly. I would definitely make this for company. I might try to swap out the velveeta for a white cheddar, but as is it's very good!"
"Delicious! I doubled the recipe and served in sour dough bowls! Easy and perfect for an Autumn lunch!!!!"
"Never was happy with other recipes and then my daughter came across this one and told me to try it. It will be the only one I ever use again."
"Made this for my family and they all loved it. I personally would add more potatoes and slightly more seasoning but other than that this recipe is simple but delicious. My family said it was better than Logan's (a restaurant)."