- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Add next eight ingredients. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; boil and stir 2 minutes. Add cheese; stir until melted and soup is heated through. If desired, serve with green onions. Yield: 2 quarts.
Reviews for Best-Ever Potato Soup
"This was awesome! Very easy and delicious. We would double the recipe, if we had our boys home from college."
"Great flavor! Once I gathered everything, this came together really quickly. I would definitely make this for company. I might try to swap out the velveeta for a white cheddar, but as is it's very good!"
"Delicious! I doubled the recipe and served in sour dough bowls! Easy and perfect for an Autumn lunch!!!!"
"Never was happy with other recipes and then my daughter came across this one and told me to try it. It will be the only one I ever use again."
"Made this for my family and they all loved it. I personally would add more potatoes and slightly more seasoning but other than that this recipe is simple but delicious. My family said it was better than Logan's (a restaurant)."
"I have yet to taste this creation but I'm giving it 5 stars nevertheless. I made a couple of modifications. I added all the bacon grease from the pound of bacon I cooked and crumbled. I also added a packet of Ranch seasoning. This makes my potato salad do delicious so thought I'd try it. I'm also adding some fresh parsley at the end and adding sharp cheddar cheese instead of the velveeta. This is for a "soup off" at school tomorrow. I can't wait to see if it's one of the winners."
"Very good. Yummmm"
"Cooked slices of Bacon disappears at my house, so I sauteed Double the onions and carrots in bacon grease. Added 32 oz of chicken broth. Doubled spices and potatoes. Kept the milk, flour and velveeta as called in recipe. Sprinkled bacon bits in each bowl. Amazing!!!"
"A LNG-time family favorite! I've made this many times, with and without the bacon. It's great both ways. Nothing better on a cold winter day. My husband says he'd pay for this soup!"
"This is awesome! I may add a little cayenne to kick it up a notch, but really good just the way it is."