- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon each celery seed, salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; drain. Add the potatoes, broth, carrot, onion, parsley, celery seed, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add cheese; stir until cheese is melted and the soup is heated through. Garnish with green onions if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Best-Ever Potato Soup
Sort By :
"Never was happy with other recipes and then my daughter came across this one and told me to try it. It will be the only one I ever use again."
"Made this for my family and they all loved it. I personally would add more potatoes and slightly more seasoning but other than that this recipe is simple but delicious. My family said it was better than Logan's (a restaurant)."
"I have yet to taste this creation but I'm giving it 5 stars nevertheless. I made a couple of modifications. I added all the bacon grease from the pound of bacon I cooked and crumbled. I also added a packet of Ranch seasoning. This makes my potato salad do delicious so thought I'd try it. I'm also adding some fresh parsley at the end and adding sharp cheddar cheese instead of the velveeta. This is for a "soup off" at school tomorrow. I can't wait to see if it's one of the winners."
"Very good. Yummmm"
"Cooked slices of Bacon disappears at my house, so I sauteed Double the onions and carrots in bacon grease. Added 32 oz of chicken broth. Doubled spices and potatoes. Kept the milk, flour and velveeta as called in recipe. Sprinkled bacon bits in each bowl. Amazing!!!"