- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally; drain drippings. Add vegetables, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. If desired, serve with green onions. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Best-Ever Potato Soup
"Just had this tonight. This is one of the best potato soups I've ever had. Very filling and can also freeze for later. A real keeper."
"This was awesome! Very easy and delicious. We would double the recipe, if we had our boys home from college."
"Great flavor! Once I gathered everything, this came together really quickly. I would definitely make this for company. I might try to swap out the velveeta for a white cheddar, but as is it's very good!"
"Delicious! I doubled the recipe and served in sour dough bowls! Easy and perfect for an Autumn lunch!!!!"
"Never was happy with other recipes and then my daughter came across this one and told me to try it. It will be the only one I ever use again."
"Made this for my family and they all loved it. I personally would add more potatoes and slightly more seasoning but other than that this recipe is simple but delicious. My family said it was better than Logan's (a restaurant)."
"I have yet to taste this creation but I'm giving it 5 stars nevertheless. I made a couple of modifications. I added all the bacon grease from the pound of bacon I cooked and crumbled. I also added a packet of Ranch seasoning. This makes my potato salad do delicious so thought I'd try it. I'm also adding some fresh parsley at the end and adding sharp cheddar cheese instead of the velveeta. This is for a "soup off" at school tomorrow. I can't wait to see if it's one of the winners."
"Very good. Yummmm"
"Cooked slices of Bacon disappears at my house, so I sauteed Double the onions and carrots in bacon grease. Added 32 oz of chicken broth. Doubled spices and potatoes. Kept the milk, flour and velveeta as called in recipe. Sprinkled bacon bits in each bowl. Amazing!!!"
"A LNG-time family favorite! I've made this many times, with and without the bacon. It's great both ways. Nothing better on a cold winter day. My husband says he'd pay for this soup!"