For a change of pace, substitute your favorite barbecue sauce for the marinara in this stuffed zucchini recipe. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Additional marinara or spaghetti sauce
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells.
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the marinara sauce, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup into each shell. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted into filling reads 160° and zucchini are tender. Serve with additional marinara sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef-Stuffed Zucchini in Simple & Delicious July/August 2008, p6
Reviews for Beef-Stuffed Zucchini
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review