- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Additional marinara or spaghetti sauce
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells.
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the marinara sauce, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup into each shell. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted into filling reads 160° and zucchini are tender. Serve with additional marinara sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Beef-Stuffed Zucchini
Sort By :
"I made the Beef Stuffed Zucchini yesterday and it is a great recipe. I did make some changes to fit our tastes. I used a pound of ground turkey instead of the beef, cooked the pulp from the zucchini with the turkey and onions, used Ragu pasta sauce instead of the marinara sauce and baked the stuffed zucchini shells in a 13x9 inch baking dish covered with foil for 45 minutes at 350. They turned out super! I will made these again."
"These were delicious! I did lightly salt the zucchini before filling and baked at 350 for 40 minutes versus microwaving. Will definitely make again."
"We really enjoyed this recipe."
"This was a fun recipe. Seasoning the zucchini as suggested by another reviewer probably would have improved the flavor - the meat sauce and cheese were good and went well together though."
"Excellent. Can be made in quantity & frozen. Really Good"