- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, ground cloves, ginger and allspice
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolk, oil and bananas. Combine the cake flour, 1 cup sugar, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, cloves, ginger and allspice. In another bowl, combine the milk, orange juice concentrate, yogurt, orange peel and vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients to banana mixture alternately with milk mixture.
- In another bowl, eat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in batter. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 48-52 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over cooled cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Banana Spice Cake
Sort By :
It takes 4(!) bowls to make it plus a grater and plate. YIKES!
The flavor was outstanding but it was heavy and too moist. I am going to try again and leave it in for the max time. I thought it was done, color and firmness, but it fell some and certainly wasn't pretty.