This delicious spice cake is bursting with the fresh flavor of ripe bananas and zesty orange peel. "I've packed lots of spices into my favorite healthy dessert," comments Sharon Carroll of Whittier, California.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, ground cloves, ginger and allspice
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolk, oil and bananas. Combine the cake flour, 1 cup sugar, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, cloves, ginger and allspice. In another bowl, combine the milk, orange juice concentrate, yogurt, orange peel and vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients to banana mixture alternately with milk mixture.
- In another bowl, eat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in batter. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 48-52 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over cooled cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Banana Spice Cake in Light & Tasty June/July 2001, p60
Reviews for Banana Spice Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review