Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- PINEAPPLE FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons half-and-half cream
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the bananas, oil, eggs, pineapple and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually beat into banana mixture until blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the shortening, butter, lemon zest and salt until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar alternately with pineapple juice. Beat in cream. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. If desired, sprinkle with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 777 calories, 35g fat (6g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 113g carbohydrate (85g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jul 21, 2019
There are a lot of great Hummingbird Cake recipes out there and the one problem is that the frosting is just too sweet. A cream cheese frosting on this cake is just great.
Apr 21, 2019
This is one of the prettiest cakes I’ve ever made, and if the smidges I had to cut off to level the layers are any indication the cake is moist, dense, and DELICIOUS! This was my first go round with Humming Bird cake - and like the previous reviewer mentioned, my hubby’s first comment was - so how many Hummingbirds are in here?! Can’t wait to see how fast it goes for our family Easter, I knew I couldn’t go wrong with a Taste of Home recipe!
Feb 2, 2018
I made it and I love ?? it. My husband always wants one for himself so I double the receipt on all ingredients except the pineapple I just do one can. Compliments every time. It’s just one of the best cakes I ever made. As a matter of fact I am making one right now for a ?? ??
Dec 11, 2017
Excellent, moist cake. I added 4 ozs. cream cheese to the frosting, but that was the only change I made. I brought it to a church social and it disappeared in a blink!
Sep 8, 2017
Doesn't say how many hummingbirds to add, or even how to catch them... but looks good anyway!! Thanks for the recipe!
Mar 30, 2016
This was amazing! Made it for my mother-in-law for Easter. I'm not usually one for pineapple but you can't taste it - just added to the moistness. I did half chopped banana and half mashed ripe banana, which was good for a bit of texture. My only "complaint" was that it was so dense that a slice of three layers was too much to finish. I'd make only 2 layers or even maybe cupcakes next time. LOVED IT otherwise!!
Feb 27, 2016
I have also made this cake before with slight variations. It is moist, flavorful and transports well. I toasted pecans, and placed them in the bottom of a greased and floured bundt pan.The recipe I have only calls fr 3/4 cup canola oil Everything else is exactly as this recipe. Stir just til all ingredients are moistened. If using a bundt pan bake at 350 for 1 hr to 1hr 10 mins. Cool on rack 15 mins then turn out to rack to cool another 2 hrs. Glaze: 4 oz cream cheese, cubed and softened. 2 c sifted confectioners sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and 1-2 tbsp milk.Combine and pour over cooled cake immediately. sprinkle with small amount chopped nuts.Enjoy.
Jan 20, 2016
I made this wonderful cake as written for a co-worker's birthday party in the early summer. It was a unique cake with the nuts, pineapple and bananas and very moist. Transported well on the NYC subway and then to the restaurant. My co-workers loved it. I have made a couple other of Nancy Zimmerman's cakes including the banana pound cake. Delicious!
Oct 3, 2015
Love it! Like others I also make the cream cheese frosting.
Aug 18, 2015
This is one of my favorite cakes.....I have always made a cream cheese frosting to put on it and sprinkled chopped pecans on top. But will try this frosting out