Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup drained canned crushed pineapple
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine bananas and pineapple.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in coconut and walnuts.
- Fill 24 paper-lined muffin cups about two-thirds full. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool the cupcakes for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 410 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 22, 2020
What temp and how much time to bake mini cupcakes?
Sep 22, 2019
These are good but are more like banana bread muffins.The pineapple and coconut flavors are not prominent.
Apr 2, 2019
I made these for my grandpa’s 89th bitthday dinner. Everyone loved them. I took a few to work the next day and my coworkers mentioned they were some of the best they ever had. I topped them off with pineapple flowers.
Mar 13, 2019
Moist and delicious! I made these for book club when we reviewed Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane - great book by the way! I did not add the frosting for ease of transporting and because they are great without it. I got 30 cupcakes instead of 24 and hubby gladly taste-tested the extra 4. I will definitely make these again and since we love cream cheese frosting, I will probably add the frosting if not transporting. Highly recommend!
Feb 4, 2019
These were delicious and decadent. I used a little more pineapple than called for but it didn't seem to affect the recipe. I also got 30 cupcakes from the batter. My co-workers gobbled them up.
Nov 26, 2014
I made this as a cake years ago, but love it as a cupcake. So light and moist. It was a winner in our family and a keeper as a holiday dessert!
Oct 14, 2014
I love, love, love these! I'm wondering if I could bake in 9" cake pans? Has anyone tried to bake a cake instead of cupcakes?
Apr 22, 2014
I liked this recipe. I didn't have bananas though so I subbed applesauce and a little oil. They still tasted good!
Mar 21, 2014
I made this recipe exactly as written and it was wonderful. I did not drain the pineapple and only frosted some and they were so fricken good. I make food like this all the time and give most of it away to friends and family after I've had my fill. I equally loved the comments and reviews of this recipe because I am so sick and tired of the calorie police, I agree with each and every one of the reviews that ask them to move on to another recipe or another recipe site. But I'm not going to say another word on the subject because nothing any of us can say will shut them up, EVER :)
Sep 5, 2013
Absolutely wonderful. Very moist and flavorful. I have an old hummingbird cake recipe that these remind me of. A hit with the coworkers