Rustic Honey Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Assorted fresh fruit and additional honey
- Chopped pistachios, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. cast-iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and honey until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture. Transfer batter to prepared skillet.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Serve with fruit, additional honey and, if desired, chopped pistachios.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled cake in plastic and foil; freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature and top as directed.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 248 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 17, 2019
This cake was wonderful. It was very simple and excellent. The magazine recommended a cream cheese frosting which I used too. 8 OZ cream cheese, 1/4 cup honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond extract. I weighed the flour which is my new cake standard but did everything else exactly as written. Awesome.
Feb 2, 2019
What a simple, yet flavorful cake! It is so versatile - could be served with fruit, a light frosting, in a trifle, etc. It is not overly sweet at all - just the right amount from the honey. The only thing I did different was use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend and baked it in a 9x9 pan. I think it would be even better in a cast iron as the recipe suggests!