Rustic Honey Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup honey
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Assorted fresh fruit and additional honey
- Chopped pistachios, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. cast-iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and honey until blended. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture. Transfer batter to prepared skillet.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Serve with fruit, additional honey and, if desired, chopped pistachios.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled cake in foil; freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature and top as directed.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 248 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 5, 2020
A great cake! Very moist and excellent with or without cream cheese frosting
Feb 17, 2019
This cake was wonderful. It was very simple and excellent. The magazine recommended a cream cheese frosting which I used too. 8 OZ cream cheese, 1/4 cup honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond extract. I weighed the flour which is my new cake standard but did everything else exactly as written. Awesome.
Feb 2, 2019
What a simple, yet flavorful cake! It is so versatile - could be served with fruit, a light frosting, in a trifle, etc. It is not overly sweet at all - just the right amount from the honey. The only thing I did different was use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend and baked it in a 9x9 pan. I think it would be even better in a cast iron as the recipe suggests!