Rustic Honey Cake
When my boys were young, they couldn’t drink milk but they could have yogurt. This was a cake they could eat. And it’s one dessert that doesn’t taste overly sweet, which is always a nice change of pace. —Linda Leuer, Hamel, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Assorted fresh fruit and additional honey
- Chopped pistachios, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. cast-iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and honey until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture. Transfer batter to prepared skillet.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Serve with fruit, additional honey and, if desired, chopped pistachios.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled cake in plastic and foil; freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature and top as directed.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 248 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Vanilla Honey Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.