Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 2 small purple gumdrops
- 1 small red gumdrop
- 2 small orange gumdrops
- 2 pretzel sticks
- Yellow, red and green liquid food coloring
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fill a greased 8-oz. custard cup three-fourths full. Pour remaining batter into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake the custard cup at 350° for 20-25 minutes and the tube cake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cakes to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut large cake in half widthwise. To form caterpillar, place one half on a 15x10-in. covered board. Place the remaining portion next to the first to form an "S." With a serrated knife, level top and bottom of small cake; place on one end of caterpillar for head.
- Frost the small cake with vanilla frosting; gently press 1/4 cup coconut into frosting. Add purple gumdrops for eyes. For mouth, flatten red gumdrop between waxed paper with a rolling pin; place below eyes. For antennae, press orange gumdrops onto pretzels; insert into head.
- Place 3/4 cup coconut in each of three small resealable plastic bags. Tint one orange with yellow and red food coloring; tint one green and one yellow. Frost the caterpillar with remaining vanilla frosting. Press alternate colors of coconut into frosting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 496 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 462mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 17, 2016
Nice cake for kids
Sep 12, 2013
Good Cake for the kids :)
Sep 11, 2013
This was great and a fun cake for the kids.
Sep 11, 2013
Awesome recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Apr 23, 2013
So cute and fun to assemble.
Mar 14, 2013
Mar 6, 2013
I made this for my 4 year old twin granddaughters. It was a huge hit and they can't stop talking about it. To make it easier on myself, I used different flavored and different colored canned frostings for the sections instead of coconut. So cute!
Nov 30, 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.