Birthday Clown Cake
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Yellow, orange, green, teal, magenta and black paste food coloring
- 10 Starburst candies
- 5 ice cream sugar cones
- Assorted candies for decorating
- Line two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, water and vanilla until smooth; stir into dry ingredients until well blended. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Divide the remaining frosting among six small bowls. Tint each with yellow, orange, green, teal, magenta and black food coloring. Cut a hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip #3. Fill bag with yellow frosting. Pipe ribbons and bows around tops of Starburst candies to make gifts; set aside. With black frosting, pipe "Happy Birthday" on top center of cake.
- Place cones around top edge of cake for clown hats. On sides of cake, pipe clown faces and collars. Using a variety of frosting colors, piping tips and candies, create clown hair, faces and collars. Decorate clown hats. Place gifts around bottom edge of cake.
Editor's NoteUse of a coupler ring will allow you to easily change pastry tips for different designs.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 22, 2013
I used a strawberry cake mix but used the frosting recipe as it made a lot! This was so fun to decorate & make. I loved making it more than the kids loved seeing it, which they really, really liked! I used various candies that made it so much fun. Thanks for sharing!
Dec 4, 2010
I made this cake and decorated it yesterady. The children and I had so much fun with the decorating. Everyone loved the flavor of both the cake and the frosting. My little boy loved his birthday cake. Thank you for a fun and tasty cake.
Mar 19, 2010
Made this for my sons 26th birthday. Made it with a box cake and did 3 layers. Used skewers under the cones to keep in place.Turned out fantastic. It's tradition for my adult son (the CPA) to get a kiddie cake and this one is awesome.