- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 large potatoes, baked, peeled and coarsely mashed (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- In a large saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the potatoes, 1/3 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream and 1/4 cup onions until blended. Cover; cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with remaining cheese and onions and, if desired, bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Baked Potato Cheddar Soup
"Potato soup is naturally thick but I like the idea of making a roux with coconut oil used for cooking chopped yellow onions instead of a flour and milk mixture. Yellow onions add to the flavor and cooking the roux for about 3 minutes gets rid of the raw flour taste.I also use sharp cheddar and add Parmesan cheese which builds on the cheese flavor. White pepper also disperses better for most foods. : )"
"Completely bland. I will not be making this again. Even my husband who will eat anything agreed to just throw out the leftovers."
"Great flavor. I used frozen southern hashbrowns to make this recipe even easier. Will make it again."
"It was wonderful and fast and easy to do awesome??????"
"It has better flavor if you add the cheese so it melts and then put in real bacon bits, then before serving sprinkle with onions."