Baked Potato Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 large potatoes, baked, peeled and coarsely mashed (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- In a large saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the potatoes, 1/3 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream and 1/4 cup onions until blended. Cover; cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with remaining cheese, onions and, if desired, bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Baked Potato Cheddar Soup(22)
Sort By :
A cheesy potato soup recipe WITHOUT processed (Velveeta) stuff...YES!
Pretty good, after reading some of the reviews I decided to just chop my potatoes instead of mashing them. I will make again, it was kid approved.
Had a good flavor but thought it was too thick. It had the consistency of runny mashed potatoes.
A few simple changes and this becomes a heart healthy recipe. Use fat free half-n-half, 2% cheese, low fat sour cream, canadian bacon & cut the salt to 1/4 tsp.
I love this recipe and have been making it since I first saw it in the TOH magazine earlier this year. I don't peel or mash the potatoes; I just dice them. I use additional green onions, a little extra cheese, and smoked salt and pepper to add a bacon flavor. It's delicious, and my boyfriend asks me to make it all the time!