Baked Mostaccioli Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked mostaccioli
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 °. Cook mostaccioli according to package directions; drain and set aside. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, mushrooms, water, salt, sugar, basil, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in mostaccioli. Spoon half into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; layer with remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Baked Mostaccioli
Sort By :
"Excellent recipe! I doubled this for a potluck, and it came out great!"
"Made the recipe using Quinoa with onion and garlic in beef broth in place of ground meat b/c being pregnant, ground meat makes me vomit. Smells delicious! Can't wait! Also added diced zucchini and yellow squash to give it more body."
"Great recipe, I would recommend using a half pound of spicy Italian sausage as well."
"I made this in the morning for a party & then reheated & served in my slow cooker in the evening. All of my guests loved this dish. Everyone thought this was catered with the rest of the food. People were raving about it & wanted to take some home. I do suggest making a double batch if you'll be serving it for a party. Very very good."
"Yum-o! Very good and easy. Followed the recipe as is. The leftovers were very good also!"