I came across this recipe years ago and added the pork sausage to perk it up. My husband claims these are the best burgers he's ever tasted, and I have to agree. They're great served with some crunchy dill pickles.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom pieces, drained and finely chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Leaf lettuce, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Crumble bacon; add with mushrooms to skillet and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine beef, pork, cheese, pepper, garlic powder and steak sauce in a large bowl. Shape into 16 patties. Divide bacon mixture and place over eight of the patties. Place remaining patties on top and press edges tightly to seal.
- Grill over medium heat until well-done (pork sausage in burgers requires thorough cooking). Serve on buns, with lettuce if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Bacon-Stuffed Burgers in Country August/September 1992, p47
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Bacon-Stuffed Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review