I love cooking with pumpkin because it’s versatile, colorful and nutritious. Combining that ingredient with chopped apple and cider gives these glazed rolls their autumn appeal.—Jennifer Coduto, Kent, Ohio
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 small apple, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and honey. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, butter, pie spice, salt, yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, mix sugar and cinnamon. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Press dough into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Brush with melted butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and apple. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices.
- Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan, cut side down. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and apple cider; drizzle over warm rolls. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Autumn Sweet Rolls with Cider Glaze in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Autumn Sweet Rolls with Cider Glaze
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review