I'd just been apple picking and wanted to bake something new with the bounty. Slow-cooking chicken with apples and barbecue sauce filled my whole house with the most delicious smell. We couldn't wait to eat. —Caitlyn Hauser, Brookline, New Hampshire
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium Fuji or Gala apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken thighs on both sides; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with apples.
- Add onion to same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in barbecue sauce, apple cider and honey; increase heat to medium-high. Cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over chicken and apples. Cook, covered, on low 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Autumn Apple Chicken in Simple & Delicious October/November 2015
Reviews for Autumn Apple Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 6, 2015
"Made as directed. It was edible, but not something I will be making again."
Reviewed Oct. 13, 2015
"Way too sweet."
Reviewed Oct. 8, 2015
"Recipe was very good, however the apples once cooked did not taste good at all. Any suggestions?"