Apple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon apple brandy or rum, optional
- Pour butter into an ungreased 9-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar. Arrange apples in a single layer over brown sugar; layer with walnuts and remaining brown sugar.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and sour cream, beating well after each addition. Beat in brandy if desired.
- Spoon batter over brown sugar layer. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Upside-Down Cake(3)
Sort By :
made this today and it turned out great ! made it exactly except omitted the brandy didn't have any. and baked it a little longer. it is a keeper!
Love this recipe! The cake has an amazing homemade flavor and the apples with brown sugar make a wonderful topping.
This was the worst cake I have ever made. My advice to you: "Never make it." "Ever". When I tried to cream the butter and sugar, it did not come out light and fluffy, probably because the submitter forgot how much sugar was really supposed to go in the recipe. There was not enough flour in it. I followed the recipe exactly and after baking it the exact time it told me to, I took it out, cooled it and attempted to dump in on a plate. The batter oozed out in streams and the apples dumped with it. I tried to bake it twice as long and it came out brown and wet. Never try this. I wasted an entire night and tons of ingredients.