- 16 ounces dried apples, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place apples and water in a 6-qt. stockpot;. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until apples are softened, stirring occasionally. Mash into a chunky sauce. Stir in brown sugar and pie spice; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and sauce is thickened. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Divide dough into eight portions; shape each into a disk. Cut out eight 9-in circles of parchment paper. With a floured rolling pin, roll out a dough disk to fit each parchment circle. Transfer to baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place one layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer, wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1-2 days or until layers soften. If desired, sprinkle cake with confectioner's sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Apple Stack Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p89
Reviews for Apple Stack Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review