Old-Fashioned Stack Cakes
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 5 min./batch
Makes3 stack cakes (6 slices each)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups apple butter
- Additional apple butter, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, ginger, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses and buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Drop two scant 1/4 cupfuls of batter, at least 7 in. apart, onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. With well-floured fingers, pat each into a 5- to 6-in. circle. Bake 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2 tablespoons apple butter. Repeat layers four times; top with a sixth layer. Repeat to make two more stack cakes. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. If desired, serve with additional apple butter.
Nutrition Facts0.167 stack cake: 280 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 343mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 28, 2013
not quite the same recipe as the ones from farther south. i don't care for apple butter at all, so it was simply..ok..i will post the recipe from Tennessee as soon as i get back there to retrieve it from my moms.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.