- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir half into the creamed mixture. Stir in the apple, walnuts if desired and remaining flour mixture.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 3 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Apple Doodles
"Pretty much just what I expected . Apple-cinnamon deliciousness! I also used butter."
"Were somewhat dry, just add a little more milk. Turned out very soft. Excellent fall snack."
"Even though the cookies turned out really yummy, I had a hard time stirring the dough and found I had to add a bit more."
"Great flavor! YUM!!!"
"These cookies are excellent! I used butter instead of the butter-flavored shortening. The cookies came out very soft."
"Mine came out very dry. They fell apart when you picked them up, I thought they could have been a lot more moist."
"I live in apple country and made these last fall. My very picky children loved them. I make them all the time."
"These cookies are awsome!!!! I would add a little more apple to it but other than that it was a huge hit with the family. This is going to be a cookie I'll be making all fall long!"
"I make an awesome apple cake & was looking for an apple cookie. Unfortunately, these cookies are just okay. I think the problem is that the apple pieces (which I cut quite small) do not bake long enough in a cookie. Will not make these again."
"I made these for my family and they loved them! I have been asked to make them again for our Christmas party. They were such a hit."