Apple-Cinnamon Shortcakes Recipe
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 4 teaspoons melted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream and 1/2 cup butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly.
- For filling, in a large skillet, melt butter. Add apples; saute until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently split warm shortcakes in half horizontally. Top bottom halves with apple mixture; replace tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple-Cinnamon Shortcakes(16)
Sort By :
This is the kind of shortcake we made for all fruit, nix the cinnamon for, say, strawberry shortcake. I like it a lot better than the sponge cake type, I like the added crunch. When the filling is very hot, pour a little milk or cream over it, or top with whipped cream. Very good!
I agree with Mortinka. I want to know what to expect when I make a recipe not hear about how I shouldn't be making it because it's unhealthy or that "it sounds good" because that's why I plan on making it. Enough ranting, I did make this and it was average. The shortcakes cooked up fine, I got nine using 1/4 c. to measure. I used Braeburn apples and they took FOREVER to soften and were sliced very thinly. I finally gave up and threw a lid on the pan and steamed them. Flavor was good but nothing overly special.
Can't understand why people have to put their 2 cents worth in without making the recipe.
I made this exactly as listed and it was very, very good.
The shortcake is soft, moist and good and the apple filling is very good.
So VERY, VERY GOOD :>)
I made this over the weekend as written for my daughter and 2 granddaughters. They loved it! The recipe was passed on to her. Thank you. Easy and a great dessert.