Apple Cake with Buttermilk Sauce Recipe
I wish I could tell you this cake is a "keeper"...but in our family it never lasts long enough for me to find out! I prefer to use Cortland apples when I bake this cake, but any firm baking apple will work.
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups chopped apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- BUTTERMILK SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream, optional
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add sugar, oil, vanilla and orange juice. On low speed, blend in flour mixture. Fold in apple, walnuts and coconut. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until the cake tests done. Invert cake onto a large plate or platter. Deeply puncture the top of the warm cake with a skewer or pick.
- In a small saucepan, bring all sauce ingredients to a boil, stirring frequently. Immediately spoon 1-1/4 cups of sauce slowly over the top of the cake, then pour the remainder down the sides. Cool. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Apple Cake with Buttermilk Sauce in Country Extra September 1992, p47
Reviews for Apple Cake with Buttermilk Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review