- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice until smooth. Add the blueberries, nutmeg and salt; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Cool.
- In a small bowl, whip cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peak forms. Serve cake with sauce and whipped cream. Yield: 15 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for America's Birthday Cake
Sort By :
"We're red velvet fans. This was a nice change of pace from my regular red velvet with cream cheese frosting. Thanks for sharing!"
"Sorry but I have a recipe for red velvet that stays moist. This cake came out real dry. Really was not happy with the cake but the sauce was very flavorful."
"Excellent flavor and texture - my guests loved it. I used 1 oz red color and rinsed the bottle with water and used it to equal 1/4 cup of liquid."
"I don't like Red Velvet cake (per se) so this became a White cake with Red tinted cream and Blue sauce. Very festive as we celebrate 3 b'days on the Holiday."
"Has anyone tried using the red velvet cake mix for this? If it works as well, I would love to try the sauce etc."