- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 7UP soda
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 7UP soda
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon or lime peel, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted or plain tube pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla. Add flour alternately with 7UP, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and enough 7UP to reach desired consistency. If desired, stir in lemon peel. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for 7UP Pound Cake
"I really like this cake. It's a great cake that I've enjoyed for many years, and everyone else seems to love it too. It's wonderful served on its own or with fresh berries."
"I had to make the necessary adjustments in order to make this gluten free and it still came out delicious! It wasn't too heavy at all and the taste of the citrus ( I had to use lime juice instead of lemon) was refreshing."
"A nice pound cake recipe! Wish it had more lemon flavor, however!"
"Great cake! Followed recipe exactly. It's important to follow first step and cream sugar and eggs. The cake itself is almost creamy !! Baked 65 minutes in bundt pan . My family will love this tomorrow when they visit. Thank you"
"I make this cake often, and sometimes with the glaze, it always turn out perfect, i used both vanilla extract and lemon extract..."
"Hello. i would like to ask u if i can substitute butter with vegetable oil. thanking u in advance."
"I made this cake. I did everything just like the recipe called for. It was in the oven for 70 minutes and there was still a gummy spot, the outside was so dark and hard to cut. Will not be making this one again. I would suggest lowering the temperature if you have to bake it that long"
"Made this cake last night, it was simple and delicious!"
"" luckyladyx" Then go over to Betty Crockers site. I guess this isn't the site for you."
"G-Cheryl, I was having the same problem a few years ago. I discovered that food companies, in order to keep their prices down, were using lots of fillers instead of the product's ingredients. Baking powder & butter were the two products with which I was having problems. Found brands of each that provided dependable results. If you know other cooks in your area, ask them to recommend good-quality products.As to the cake recipe, we love it! I'd never tried it with a glaze, but the glaze makes it even more delicious! Like Marcia, I got the recipe from my substitute grandma & terrific cook who taught me everything I know, my Aunt Leona!"