- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter or margarine
- 8 to 10 cups cubed seeded peeled zucchini (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly; reserve 3 cups. Pat remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, place zucchini and lemon juice in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Stir in sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; cover and simmer for 5 minutes (mixture will be thin). Spoon over crust; sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews forZucchini Dessert Squares
"I really liked this hot. It is OK cold, but we preferred it hot with ice cream!"
"Had the whole family fooled. They thought it was apples! A great dessert."
"Very good. Took it along to a camp out. No one could believe that it was zucchini. Didn't say if you should seed and peel zucchini. Will make again and again."
"You would think you are eating a baked apple dessert....you gotta try this! It is awesome warm and good after it cools...just like apple pie is. (If you are a vanilla ice cream on warm pie kind of person).I made the crust mixture and then I added about 3/ 4 cup oatmeal to the crust mixture that was set aside to put on the top.You will need 2 BIG zucchinis to make a 9 x 13....you can cut recipe in half and make 8 x 8."
"I just made this last night and brought it to work today and it was Fantabulouos!! Everyone couldn't believe it was zucchini because the filling took on the flavor of an apple dish. I cut back on the sugar in the crust to 1 cup, flour 3 cups and butter 1 cup. You won't be sorry to use less. I am now the "Zucchini Queen"!!"
"I absolutely fooled everyone with this recipe. My family and coworkers kept complimenting me on my apple dessert. This is without a doubt a keeper. Delicious. I followed the recipe exactly except I added a little cloves along with the other spices to the zucchini. I will definitely be making this again!"
"This is the best recipe for zucchini that I have ever tasted. I love the muffins but everyone loved these. They really do taste like apples. I cut back some on the sugar in the crust (1/2 cup) and think I will substitute two cups of oatmeal for two cups of flour next time. Great way to use all the zucchini we have this year."
"My family thought this was an apple dessert. So tasty and a great way to use my summer zucchini. I think that you could cut down on the crust a little, but it was so great! A new family favorite."
"I made a half batch of this recipe last night. It worked very well in a 9x9 dish. The filling tasted enough like apple to fool the husband and the texture was tender crisp. I had worried it might be mushy, but was pleasantly surprised. The crust wasn't browned as nicely as I had hoped, but I will make this again!Thank you for sharing the recipe!"