Witch’s Hat Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Canned pasteurized cheddar cheese snack
- Spritz tortillas with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning. With a 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter, cut out four circles from each tortilla (discard scraps). Cut a slit into the center of eight circles; shape each into a cone and secure with toothpicks.
- Place circles and cones on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, vegetables, beans, tomatoes, sugar and remaining taco seasoning. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Discard toothpicks. To assemble hats, place cones on circles; pipe a band of cheese around base of cones. Ladle soup into bowls and top with hats.
Jan 4, 2017
This was pretty good, definitely easy, and quick. I will say, I thought mixed veg would be a little odd in this, so I used plain kernel corn. It's a keeper
Feb 8, 2012
I didn't bother with the witch's hat on this. I did have to make a few changes for what I had on hand. I used southwest bean medley for the chili beans and a can of spicy red pepper tomatoes for the diced tomatoes with green chilies. I was worried about it being enough liquid but there was plenty. A hearty soup and just spicy enough for someone who doesn't enjoy overly spicy food.
Dec 7, 2010
Our family likes this soup. I think its tasty and quick, I always have the ingredients on hand to make for a quick dinner when time is short.
Oct 29, 2009
I fixed this recipe and it was delicious! I topped it off with a little cheese and a dallop of sour cream and it was the bomb!
Oct 25, 2009
I made this soup and my family ate it so fast it vanished in seconds. I'd definitely make it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.