Witches’ Brew with Broomsticks
While growing up, my boys enjoyed helping me make this beverage with "broomsticks." Now I use the recipe with my grandchildren. —Paula Marchesi, Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 8 orange candy slices
- 8 cinnamon sticks (5 inches)
- 8 pieces black shoestring licorice (10 inches)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup red-hot candies
- 6 cups milk
- 3/4 cup instant chocolate drink mix
- For broomsticks, on a lightly sugared surface, roll each orange slice into a 1/4-in.-thick triangle. With wet scissors, snip bottoms of triangles to resemble broom bristles. Wrap pointed end of each around a cinnamon stick. Coil a licorice piece around the top of each orange slice to secure to cinnamon stick; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and red-hots to a boil, stirring frequently until dissolved. Whisk in milk and chocolate drink mix. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until hot. Pour into cups or mugs. Serve with broomstick stirrers.
Originally published as Witches Broomsticks in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007
Sep 25, 2010
This was a very big success. Where did you get the cups and saucers?
Oct 29, 2009
I made this recipe for a family gathering. It did not get the ratings I expected but it was eaten fairly quickly. I would definitely make it again.